Pages

01 March 2007

March poem of the month

Here's another product of my "Poetry Writing in Baroque Forms" course this semester, very much inspired by Donne. Enjoy.

Counterfeit

Cast this selfness out of me, and mar
Me in Your form, that Your hard image raise
Its shining face, and mine, Almighty, raze;
Impressive and impressing Lord of art.

I ring untrue and hollow, like false coinage
Shaped from drossy silver, less than gold,
Slipped from Your saintly pocket-holes,
Creative and creating Lord of change.

Trodden, trampled, mired under shoes,
I lie effaced and formless, waiting grace:
Your crushing fingers and embossing face,
Renaissance and rebirth Lord of new.

Though my metal cannot bear Your weight,
And though it slay me, stamp me with Your shape.

~ Sørina




Creative Commons License
"Counterfeit" by Sørina Higgins is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means that you can copy and distribute the work if you will not receive any commercial gain; that you can use the work in a new creative way (song lyrics, dramatic production, visual display), again, if you receive no commercial gain; and any other use that does not make you any money--as long as you do not change any of the words of the original text. Also, the author would like to be notified of any uses of her poem. Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHH!!!
first comment!!!
okai...so this isnt a poem...
but i will post one...soon

<3

DannyJames...

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Alrighty, here's the magical poem Mrs. Higgins told me to post. Actually, it's a song, but O well.

Coffeeshop Confession
K.C.

On the back of a Starbucks napkin
I wrote a letter
It was late, the sky was crying
And I didn't feel much better
I told the barista to fix me something strong
Something to keep me up all night long
So I didn't lie awake
Dreaming of you

Here's my coffeeshop confession
This letter in my hand explains it all
And it's so clear that even I can't question
That you're the one I think I'm falling for.

I threw the letter in the trashcan
As I got up to leave
Recalling all my memories of
You and me
I want to let you see
What I'm feeling right now
I want to tell you
What my letter was all about
But maybe you already know
That I'm dreaming of you...

Here's my coffeeshop confession
The letter I just wrote explains it all
And it's so clear that even I can't question
That you're the one I think I'm falling for

You made me beautiful somehow
When no one else would see me
And this time
My heart's not lying to me.

So here's my coffeeshop confession
The letter that I wrote explains it all
And now I know without a question
That you're the one I'm falling for

You're the one I know I've fallen for...

Copyright 2007 (all rights reserved)


Are you proud, Mrs. Higgins??? I posted my first comment!

Sørina Higgins said...

Thank you, Kasee!