Pages

07 November 2008

Poetry Book Promotion

Dear friends, family members, and faithful readers:

My poetry chapbook, The Significance of Swans, is now available at amazon.com. If you have already purchased and read this book, would you please take the time to do me a very important favor? I would really appreciate it if you would dash over to amazon and write a little review for me. Even better: if you are connected with a literary magazine of any sort, would you consider publishing a book review of this volume? Now that the book exists, my publisher is encouraging me to try to promote it a bit more. I’ve done a series of readings, but those are necessarily local. It would be fantastic if almost every person who has purchased this book (and who enjoyed it!) would do one of the following:
1. write a review on amazon
2. write a review in a magazine
3. write a review in a newsletter (church, school, etc.)
4. recommend the book to someone else
5. write a comment about the book here on Iambic Admonit
6. write me a comment on facebook
7. suggest places where I could do more poetry readings

Can anyone do any of these for me? Thanks very much!

~ Sørina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. H,

I bought your book at the poetry reading, but I have yet to get it. Once I do, and I reread your beautiful work, I would love to write a review!

David said...

I'm, like, exactly the opposite. I got the book, but I haven't payed for it yet. Apologies for the delay, by the way; it's my payday tomorrow, which means I might ge it to the Buonannos by Sunday. If not, then definitely by the next Sunday.
anyway...
On the whole, I enjoyed the book, but a few of them struck me as a bit ahead of the rest. My favorite three were:
Cyclical, because I really enjoyed the imagery and various uses of the circle; not to mention the ending note which paints tjhe circle of the Universe as a straight line. After all, neither a perfect circle nor a straight line have an ending, so which is the Universe? Both, I guess.
The next on the list is Body Impressions, and not only because it's so short. I actually did find the concept interesting, though there was probably more that could be said on the subject; which isn't to say that I think you should change it. It's simple and striking, which is what it's meant for. It paints one small black and white picture into our minds, but from that tiny seed can sprout forests and jungles of thought. Anyway,,,
My favorite of all the poems in the book was the villanelle called To Try to Tell. I liked it because it flowed smoother than any villanelle I'd heard before; so much so that I didn't even realize it was a villanelle until the third verse. And aside from the form, it told the story in a straight line, rather than in the confusing figure-eights generally associated with that form. It used the form rather than being used by the form, and therefore it was able to be more than just another rigidly-formed poem churned out of the factory; it had feeling and force; it had excellent imagery and an actually interesting story.
So yeah, I pretty much liked it. I also saw a couple of pieces that we'd studied in poetry class, which was cool; it's nice to know that all of that work was for something, as opposed to the usual nothing.