Pages

12 December 2006

Giving thanks for art

I came across another great G.K. Chesterton quote lately:

You say grace before meals.
All right.
But I say grace before the play and the opera,
And grace before the concert and the pantomime,
And grace before I open a book,
And grace before sketching, painting,
Swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing;
And grace before I dip the pen in the ink.

Cited in Frederick Buechner's Speak What We Feel (Not What We Ought To Say), which in turn was cited by Ron Reed in his blog Oblations.

2 comments:

AJ said...

G.K. was a great one for gratitude. One of my favorites, paraphrased: "If a child can thank me for putting gifts in his stocking, can I not thank God for putting two feet in mine?"

Sørina Higgins said...

Or for putting Himself into two feet & putting those two on the Earth! Thanks for these reminders.